It’s Day 6 of the post-interview count. I’ve heard of people getting acceptance letters as early as 6 days out, so I’m starting, against my better judgement, to get a little bit excited. When I passed my mailbox last night, I thought “maybe tomorrow!” All of this excitement just makes it that much harder to know that, realistically, I probably won’t get my letter for at least another week. The anticipation is killing me!
So, because I have a long wait before I hear back, and an even longer wait before I leave for Florida in August, I’ve been trying to find ways to kill the time. And, for all of my fellow Fall ’09 hopefuls/CPs, I thought I would share some of my favorite ways to kill the time…Disney style!
First of all, you can never know to much about the CP. There are a few great sites out there, and, of course, I don’t have space to highlight them all. But a couple of my favorites are:
- http://www.disboards.com/ — A wonderful, vibrant forum about all things Disney. The College Board, however, is really where it’s at. (http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=90). Almost all of the topics on this board are about the CP, and there are some great folks here with a ton of knowledge. And you can also at least get acquainted with some of your fellow CPs before you arrive! Some people are even using the board to set up with roomates!
- http://wdwcpblog.blogspot.com/ — Out of all the blogs I read while trying to decide if I wanted to do the program, this was by far the most detailed and one of the most entertaining. This site is his “un-official, hopefully definitive resource for future Disney College Program students”. On this site, he also has a link to a more traditional day-by-day journal type blog that he kept while actually on the program (http://sarbruis.livejournal.com/?skip=60&tag=wdwcp.) While the first blog is more informative, the second is more entertaining. The writer is clever and funny, and everything I hope to be in my blog.
If you’re doing the CP, and reading blogs about it, chances are you’re a fan of Disney in general. If so, then why haven’t you been checking out the following sites already?
- http://www.laughingplace.com/ — Just like DisBoards is my first stop for CP related forums, LaughingPlace is the first place I go for general Disney. The site includes general information about the parks, a constantly updated list of links to Disney news called “The Latest”, videos, and one of my favorite podcasts, which is put out on a weekly basis. Although the main focus here seems to be on the parks, EVERYTHING and ANYTHING Disney is covered here.
- http://www.jimhillmedia.com/ — Another very entertaining blog. This one, however, is of a more professional type. Mr. Hill covers almost every aspect of breaking Disney news. He has many “inside sources”, and always seems to have a scoop of some kind. (Disclaimer: Half of the “scoops” never seem to come to fruition. Whether Disney just changes their plans, or Mr. Hill’s sources are giving him bad information is up for debate. Very heated, entertaining debate taking place in the Comments section after Mr. Hill’s articles.🙂 ) Where this site really shines, though, is in his “Disney That Never Was” stories. Mr. Hill and his amazing collection of contributors have a seemingly inexhaustible supply of concept art and publicity materials from park attractions and movies that never got off the drawing table. Plus, the site often features articles from Disney insiders like Floyd Norman and Ron Schneider.
- http://www.disneylies.com/ –Taking a turn to the silly side, DisneyLies is the number one stop for, well, lies about Disney. For instance, did you know that the Magic Kingdom originally consisted of 43 elaborately themed lands, including Spy Alley, Pulp Novel Plaza, Adultyhood, Castlevania, and Jurassic Park? Or that all of the electricity for the Animal Kingdom park is generated by underground elephant-powered pistons? They’ve got a million of ’em! And after you’ve had your fill of Disney lies, head on over to…
- http://snopes.com/disney/disney.asp for some truthiness. Snopes is a pretty well-known site that lists urban legends, and gives them a “True”, “False”, or “Undetermined” status, with a little of the history behind each tale. There are so many Disney myths, that they recieved their own section, and are further divided up according to subject: Theme Parks, the Disney Company, and Walt Disney himself.
And, by the way, as you’re checking out all of these great sites, don’t forget about HappiestInternship.blogspot.com. The readership here has been growing, and I appreciate all of my new devotees. Please add me to your blog lists, or even become a Follower of my blog! Then you can say you were there when it was all started by a (computer) mouse.😉